Monday, July 20, 2009

Single Layer Ring Sling - Tutorial

There are quite a few tutorials on-line about how to make Ring Slings and they are all pretty good...I've tried most of them. This is the way I make them now after using bits and pieces of others ideas. I don't know the names of the folds...so I hope the pictures are self-explanatory! If something is confusing leave a comment and I'll try to explain better! Enjoy!

NOTE: This tutorial is intended for PERSONAL USE ONLY.

First you need your materials:
2 1/2 yards of a sturdy fabric of your choice. I chose to use Linen this time around.
*Fabrics with no stretch are the best - ie: 100% cotton, Linen. Also, when making a single layer
sling choose a fabric with no "wrong" side. Both sides of the fabric will be showing.
*Don't forget to pre-wash!!!
2 Aluminum Rings
* I purchase mine at slingrings.com
Cutting mat
Rotary cutter
ruler(s)
Thread
Sewing Machine (I've named mine Berdi - she's totally old school and totally awesome!)

**As you can see this projects is relatively inexpensive...especially when you think about how much stores charge!***

Fold your fabric and use your mat and rotary cutter to cut fabric 33inches wide. You want to end up with a large piece of fabric that is 2 1/2 yards x 33inches.

Iron around all 4 sides a 1/4 inch hem, then fold under and iron another 1/4 inch hem (so there is no exposed edges)

Sew around all 4 sides
Fold in half the long way (hot dog style)
*I'm only picky about the side that I will be folding and ironing - I don't worry much about the tail.
Iron down the crease - this crease is just to mark the middle point on the fabric
Open the fabric and then fold the 2 outside edges inward so they meet in the middle. Iron down the creases.
Fold the creased outside edges inward so the meet in the middle again (the width of your fabric is getting smaller). Iron creases of the fold.
Take a marking tool (i don't have anything fancy...i just use a pencil) and mark 15 inches from your folded, ironed end.
Pull the two aluminum rings through the folded fabric.
Match the end to your markings
Smooth down and pin into place.
*I also pin farther down the tail to give the sling some more stability until it's all sewn down.
Go to your machine and line up the pinned edge with the left side of your sewing foot. This first line always ends up matching up pretty close to the stitching of the hem. Sew across the folds.
*I always make sure to back stitch on either side to ensure stability.
Next match up the edge of the sling to the stitching that you just made and go across again.
Third time's a charm for me. Some times I only do two. But this time I did three. Again, I lined up my sewing foot with the previous stitching.

And Voila! Now you just need an adorable child to put in there!
Other tutorials that you may like:
Maya Wrap
Everything In Its Place
Stand and Deliver

YOU TUBE Ring Sling Wearing Instructions

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to decide on a suitable tablecloth to use for a ringsling, any idea on brands that you know would work well? I know mahagony is big, but haven't been able to find one for less than $50.

    ReplyDelete